Here’s a list of foods to keep away from during your pregnancy:
- Undercooked animal foods. Stay away from rare meat, sushi, raw cookie dough, and unpasteurized eggs. You can see if eggs are pasteurized or not by checking the carton. Make sure meat, poultry, and fish is cooked all the way through. Cook eggs until they are no longer runny.
- Hot dogs and deli meats. Stay away from cold hot dogs and deli meats. If you want to eat them, heat them until they are steaming hot. Make sure the juice from hot dog packages does not get on anything else.
- Raw dairy products. Avoid raw milk and any cheese made from unpasteurized milk. Some of these cheeses are brie, queso fresco, queso blanco, and goat cheese.
- Certain fish. Stay away from large fish like swordfish and mackerel. Salmon, shrimp, canned light tuna, and sardines are okay options.
- Raw sprouts. Steer clear of alfalfa, clover, and radish sprouts.
- Alcohol. Beer, wine, and hard liquor should all be avoided while you are pregnant.
- Unpasteurized juices. Keep away from juices that have not been pasteurized. Juices found at farms and roadside stands are often not pasteurized. At the store, check the label to make sure your juice is pasteurized.
- Caffeine. You do not have to get rid of it altogether, but limit how much you have. About 12 ounces a day is the limit, which is about a cup of coffee. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks all have caffeine.
Source(s): womenshealth.gov, nih.gov