Ultrasounds are important for three main reasons:
- Used to find the cause of a symptom or physical finding.
- Looks for problems that might be there but have not caused symptoms.
- May find birth defects.
What else are ultrasounds good for?
- Finding out the sex of your baby.
- Figuring out how far along you are in your pregnancy.
- Seeing if the placenta is located where it should be.
- Baby’s position and expected weight.
Ultrasounds are safe and have no side effects. Your first ultrasound should be around the 20th week of pregnancy.