Why are prenatal vitamins important?
- Prenatal vitamins are vitamins you take while you are trying to get pregnant and then throughout your entire pregnancy.
- The vitamins have key nutrients that are important for your baby’s growth.
- Prenatal vitamins have folic acid, which helps keep your baby’s brain and spinal cord healthy.
- They also have iron, which helps your baby grow and develop normally.
- Prenatal vitamins do not mean you don’t have to eat healthy. They work best when they are taken with a healthy diet.
Look for these nutrients when buying prenatal vitamins:
- Folic acid
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B-6
- Vitamin D