If you drink alcohol, anything you drink goes directly to your baby through the umbilical cord.
This can lead to:
- Birth defects
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
If you smoke, all of the chemicals you breathe in go straight to your baby.
- Lower your baby’s heart rate
- Lower the amount of oxygen available to your baby
- Increase chances of miscarriage and stillbirth
- Increase risk that your baby is born early or underweight
- Increase your baby’s risk of lung problems
- Increase risk of birth defects
- Increase risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome