Why does pregnancy make me constipated?
- There are hormones that have to do with being pregnant that relax your muscles. This makes food move through your body more slowly.
- Later in pregnancy when your uterus is bigger, it is harder to go to the bathroom.
Here are some ways to help
- Eat foods with a lot of fiber (whole-grain cereals and breads, brown rice, fruits and veggies).
- Drink a lot of water every day.
- Work out often (walking or swimming are good options).
- Try to go to the bathroom after eating.
- If your prenatal vitamin has a lot of iron, try switching to one with less.
Source: Women’s Health