Why is it good to breastfeed?
It’s good for your baby
- Breast milk is great for babies. It has vitamins, protein, and fat, which are all things your baby needs to grow.
- Breast milk is easier for your baby to digest than formula.
- Breast milk has things in it that help keep your baby from getting sick. It also lowers your baby’s chance of having asthma or allergies.
- Babies who are only breastfed for the first 6 months of life have fewer ear infections, breathing problems, and diarrhea.
- The closeness of breastfeeding helps you and your baby bond. It also helps babies gain the right amount of weight instead of becoming overweight.
It’s good for you
- Breastfeeding burns extra calories, so it helps you lose pregnancy weight faster.
- It releases a hormone that helps your uterus return to its normal size. This may reduce bleeding after birth.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- It is cheaper to breastfeed than buy formula, and you get time to relax with your baby.