You should only drink alcohol if you can answer YES to these questions:
- My blood sugar is under good control.
- I know how to avoid and treat low blood sugar.
- My doctor or other diabetes provider says it is okay to drink alcohol.
Rules to follow when drinking alcohol:
- Try to eat food ahead of time (foods with a lot of carbs may be helpful).
- Drink slowly, do not over consume and do not drink alone.
- Check your blood sugar often.
- Keep a sugary snack nearby in case your blood sugar gets too low.
- Make sure someone who is with you knows you have diabetes.